Forums » Suggestions

press on Thursday night that Choo passed his phys

• November 8, 2017 11:03 PM EST

Shin-Soo Choo passed his physical with the Texas Rangers, clearing the way for the completion of the outfielders $130 million, seven-year deal. Bob Lilly Jersey . A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on Thursday night that Choo passed his physical and would be formally introduced in Texas on Friday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement from the team. The Rangers scheduled a press conference Friday afternoon. The said only that it was to "announce a major free agent signing" and provided no other details. Choos deal, worth about $18.6 million per season, is the third-highest this off-season. The deal was agreed upon last weekend, but was pending the completion of the physical. Second baseman Robinson Cano got $240 million over 10 years from Seattle and outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury, like Choo, a client of agent Scott Boras, signed a $153 million, seven-year contract with the New York Yankees. Choo started 150 games in centre field and had a .423 on-base percentage last season for Cincinnati in his only year with the Reds. He hit .285 with 21 homers and 20 stolen bases and scored 107 runs as their primary leadoff hitter. The Rangers will likely use Choo in left field because they have Leonys Martin in centre and Alex Rios in right. And Choo could be their leadoff hitter. The deal comes a month after the Rangers acquired five-time All-Star first baseman Prince Fielder in a trade with Detroit for second baseman Ian Kinsler, their primary leadoff hitter last season. Both Fielder and Choo will be under contract through the 2020 season. The Rangers, who won their only AL pennants in 2010 and 2011, missed the playoffs for the first time in four years. Texas scored only 730 runs, its fewest in a non-strike season since 1992. Choos deal calls for salaries of $14 million in 2014 and 2015, $21 million in 2016 and 2017, and $20 million in each of the last three years of the deal. There are also performance bonuses and a limited no-trade clause. Choo has a .288 career batting average and .389 OBP with 104 home runs and 427 RBIs in 853 major league games for Seattle (2005-06), Cleveland (2006-12) and Cincinnati. The 31-year-old South Korean had at least 20 homers and 20 stolen bases three times, including last season. Geoff Swaim Jersey .Y. -- In a span of three days, Shabazz Napier and Connecticut knocked out both Philadelphia schools in the NCAA tournament. Nolan Carroll Jersey .Y. - Major League Soccer is prepared to start its season this weekend even if there isnt a labour deal with its referees and other on-field officials.TORONTO - Logan Couture doesnt have to look far to be reminded of the San Jose Sharks playoff collapse against the Los Angeles Kings. His surgically repaired right hand still has scars from last months surgery, and the recovery has been slow. He expects the hand, injured in a fight with Kings centre Mike Richards, to be OK by training camp. And Couture works out with Kings defenceman Drew Doughty, who was set to have his day with the Stanley Cup on Friday. Doughty doesnt chirp his good friend, but that doesnt stop Couture from thinking about the painful first-round series loss. "I think every time I see hockey on TV or read about it in the paper," he said. The Sharks were in command of the series, up three games to none. But they proceeded to become the just the fourth team in NHL history to blow that lead. The Kings won the Cup, and the Sharks were left to wonder what went wrong. Couture doesnt ponder what he and his teammates couldve done differently. The thoughts are more simple than that. "I just think about how much it hurts," he said Thursday night at Dominic Moores Smashfest charity event. "The feelings arent going to go away — probably never. Its just something that sticks with you for a long time." In time, Couture thinks the collapse should serve as motivation for the Sharks who remain. For now, at least, that includes captain Joe Thornton and veteran winger Patrick Marleau, whose new contracts start next season and include full no-move clauses. San Jose general manager Doug Wilson has talked about rebuilding and going younger. In the process the Sharks traded 38-year-old defenceman Dan Boyles free-agent rights, traded 34-year-old defenceman Brad Stuart and bought out 33-year-old winger Marty Havlat. In free agency, the Shaarks signed enforcer John Scott in an effort to "act as a deterrent and help keep teams and opposing players honest," according to Wilson. Dak Prescott Jersey. The vast majority of the roster looks similar to the one that finished the playoffs, though San Jose hopes to have defenceman Marc-Edouard Vlasic back after his injury and will move Brent Burns back to the blue-line. "We knew something was going to happen. Every year changes happen," Couture said. "Well see what happens going forward. Some things may happen, some things may not, so well see." One thing that may happen in the not-too-distant future is Couture becoming the captain. The Sharks took the "C" off Marleau four years ago and he has continued to play and produce, so that concept isnt far-fetched for Thornton, as well. Couture, who served as captain of the OHLs Ottawa 67s, has had conversations with Wilson this summer but said he had not been specifically asked to increase his leadership role. "I think its just expected," the 25-year-old Guelph, Ont., native said. "I think each year you play more with an organization youre expected to take on more of that role. Those are kind of the things that dont have to be said." Couture will begin his new US$30-million, five-year contract this season and hopes that his tenure in San Jose is a long one. With that, he anticipates a larger role in the locker-room and on the ice. "I think I learned a lot from the leaders on our team in San Jose the last couple of years and taking small things from them and try to be a leader as much as I can with our team with our young guys," Couture said. "Weve got a lot of leaders on that team, a lot of veteran players, so I think well be fine." --- Follow @SWhyno on Twitter Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '